I really love gardening because I can do anything whether it’s under the heat of the sun or inside the house. Did you know that aside from experimenting lots of various dishes with the vegetables or fruits from your garden, you can also create delicious and nutritious smoothies? Yes, just like freezing kale for smoothies. Everybody will have the chance to enjoy its taste and its benefits, especially the kids who may not want to eat vegetables regularly. But before that, let’s take a look how can kale benefit your health.
The Health Benefits of Kale
- It is known as anti-inflammatory.
- It has a low calorie which means that it can be best added to your diet without worrying of gaining weight.
- It is a good source of antioxidant which can make your cells healthy and renewed.
- It also has a low carbohydrate which is good for those who want to lose weight.
- It contains lots of vitamins and minerals like Calcium, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Potassium, as well as lutein.
Did You Know?
- Kale has lots of iron compared to beef.
- If you will compare it to milk, it also has more calcium.
- Compared to spinach, it has more vitamin c.
- It is good for the eyes skin; it helps reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer; it promotes weight loss; it lowers cholesterol; and it aid to stronger bones.
Are you already encouraged to have kale in your garden? You better be. The best way to consume kale is to freeze it. Below are the steps which you may follow:
You can freeze kale by blanching it first. Blanching is when you put the kale in a pot with boiling water. Allow it to be boiled for some time then remove the kale and let it cool down. You can either put seasoning or flavoring like salt to add to its taste. After that, you can remove it and drain the water. Although this may consume enough time, you can be able to add this to soup dishes. This step is just optional if you want to add kale to soups. Go to step 2 if you want to make kale into smoothies, especially during summer.
Make sure to wash your kale so that dust, dirt, and other bacteria will be washed off. Once you think that every part is already clean, you can remove and throw away the stems, leaving behind the chunks.
You can add the chunk to a blender and add 2 to 3 cups of water. Blend it until everything becomes smooth. You should make sure that all of the leaves are totally blend.
Use your ice cubes to freeze the kale. After that, you can use air-tight freezer bag so that you will have enough kale for the whole winter season. You can also use jars when storing the kale. To make into smoothies, you can just add one or two cubes of kale into the blender. In fact, you can also make it into a juice.
To make into a smoothie, you can chop the kale and add any juice that you want like pineapple or orange. You may use a juicer if you want. Then mix them all together in the blender, then serve and enjoy. You can also mix it with other fruits like blueberry and banana. You can add milk, sugar and yogurt to enhance the taste.